Well, I have tried to build a 2.4.17-x kernel for MY mandrake 8.1 system,
but it doesn't seem to get the network running, and I haven't had time to
pursue it lately.

But here is what I've learned so far:

The .config file is in /usr/src/linux. I downloaded the pure kernel tarball,
not RPMs, because I wanted an UNMODIFIED kernel to build Real Time Linux on,
and Red Hat's (and thus Mandrake's) kernel is heavily patched.

I copied this .config file to my new kernel source directory, and used it as
a basis for make xconfig. However, there were some mismatches that I haven't
had time to sort out yet. But, if you're building the same version, you
should be better off than me.

When building a new kernel, DO NOT use /usr/src/linux. Make a separate
directory tree to keep everything separate from your original (working)
kernel. the kernel source documentation recommends this.

I assumed that when you recompile a kernel,  you also need to rebuild the
modules, because of pointers and stuff. I don't know how true this is, but I
always did it as a matter of course.

You might also want to think about upgrading to 2.4.8-34.1. There have been
some security fixes and so forth.

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES