On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Benjamin Scott wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Alex Hewitt USG wrote:
> > I did that and then noticed that making mrproper erases your previous
> > kernel configuration.
>
>   You may find it easier to RTFM, rather than trying to figure all this out
> by typing commands at random.  :-)  There is a Kernel-HOWTO that covers the
> basics, and there is also much information in $KERNEL_SOURCE/Documentation
> that can be of help.  There is plenty of documentation, believe or not, it
> is just not well organized towards *finding* it.  :-(
>
>   If, on the other hand, you're happy with just playing, don't let me stop
> you.  :-)

You're quite correct to point that out ;^) In fact, I was happy playing around
because I haven't really done much playing with kernel builds and this is a good
way to learn more. Besides that, these kinds of problems are nearly impossible
to fix if you're running Windows because of the lack of sources and also
the lack of decent error messages or instrumentation when there is a problem.

> > I got a "CardServices version miss-match". Examining the messages file
> > showed that when I boot from a the good kernel I get PCMCIA version 3.1.29
> > but when I boot from my new kernel I see PCMCIA version 3.1.21.
>
>   The part of a Linux system that handles PCMCIA is called "pcmcia-cs".  It
> was not integrated with the mainline kernel *at all* in 2.2, and even in
> 2.4, the kernel falls behind.  Check out <http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net>
> and go from there.  You may need to update the kernel source with new stuff,
> or your userland tools, or both.

That's what I figured too. In the past I've had occasion to
re-instal/re-configure PCMCIA on other laptops and I've always found that David
Hinds, the developer, does an outstanding job of explaining how PCMCIA works and
how to fix it. It's just that there might be as much as a two year gap between
my messing with PCMCIA stuff. I wasn't particularly bothered by the PCMCIA
problem because I find it's fairly easy to fix (once you read the documenation
;^)).

> > The worse part is that acpi support which prompted all this is not
> > considered to be release quality ...
>
>   I was going to mention that.  I wanted to play around with ACPI on Linux
> myself.  So I tried compiling a kernel with ACPI support.  I discovered that
> (1) broke a couple things that used to work, (2) effectively disabled power
> management completely and (3) was not much use anyway, since there were no
> good ACPI userland tools yet.  That was all about six to eight months ago,
> though, so I figured maybe things have improved.  Perhaps they have not.
> :-)

In fact, I might just punt on acpi for now. If I had a bit more time to spend on
it, I'd contact the developers and offer to help debug it on my particular
laptop. For one thing, the system seems to do really well without any power
management other than the stuff that the BIOS does automatically. I can safely
power down now with just Linux installed. When I had Windows on the box, having
the system put itself into standby had a tendency to hose the disk because they
were using some special code to safe a memory image to disk. That worked ok with
just Windows but after installing Linux the image would get written to the wrong
place on disk and blow out the OS. It always managed to hit Windows and I should
have just taken the hint! ;^)

Thanks for the input,

-Alex