I worked on the problem last night from about 8pm until 12:30 when I went to
bed.

I solved the "can't fsck /dev/hda1 already mounted" problem which turned out
to be an error in lilo.conf. Specifically, there is a line /boot/initrd.img
and I had changed that to point to my new kernel. I fixed the line and now
it would boot but still was having module problems.

I attempted a 'make modules' but the make errored out after only 15-20 lines
logged to the screen. I checked www.deja.com and noted that someone else who had
that problem did a 'make mrproper'. I did that and then noticed that making
mrproper erases your previous kernel configuration. I re-ran 'make xconfig' and
then after doing a 'make dep', 'make', 'make bzImage', 'make modules', 'make
modules_install', I moved my new kernel into /boot, re-ran lilo and rebooted.
This time the kernel pretty much booted all the way up with one exception - the
pcmcia services started but then when card services attempted to load the
wave_lan.c module, I got a "CardServices version miss-match". Examining the
messages file showed that when I boot from a the good kernel I get PCMCIA
version 3.1.29 but when I boot from my new kernel I see PCMCIA version 3.1.21.
So there is definitely something not quite right about the way the system is
configured/built with the new kernel.

I'm sure I can fight my way through this but it's too bad that it isn't easier.
Having to chase packages down and then figure out the dependencies is rather
painful!

Sigh,

-Alex

P.S. The worse part is that acpi support which prompted all this is not
considered to be release quality and the Linux laptop home page states that
the Compaq model I'm using has problems when its acpi support is used with the
Linux acpi code. Bummer...

Wirth's Law: Software gets slower faster than Hardware gets faster!

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous

Want to know what it looked like 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1,000,000
years ago? Just look up on a clear night!