If you can find a config file for a setup that you
like (say, the one that Mandrake rigged up for you)
you can copy it into the directory (which BTW need not
be named /usr/src/linux) where you've put your kernel
sources and then stand in that directory and say

  make oldconfig

whereupon the build system will do its best to honor
as many of the config specifications in that .config
file as possible, prompting you interactively when
necessary.

For a (lame) example, let's say I want to build an
experimental 2.4.18 kernel for my 2.2.17 equipped
Debian box.  First I could extract the sources
(obtained directly from kernel.org or a mirror thereof)
into a new directory called /usr/src/linux2.4.18.
Then I'd copy a config file of interest into that
directory.  On my Debian box the example config files
live in /boot with names like config-2.2.17-ide, so
I might make a renamed copy of that config file in my
experimental source directory ("cp /boot/config-2.2.17
/usr/src/linux2.4.18/.config") and then I could "cd
/usr/src/linux2.4.18" and finally "make oldconfig"

Since 2.4.18 has many more config options than 2.2.17
the interactive portion of that "oldconfig" session
would keep you pretty busy, but sane defaults are
offered for each new option and it usually works well.