I'm not so sure I agree.  I should preface the following with the fact that,
although I am not newbie, I am certainly not an expert.

I think that there is something to be said for arming yourself with as much book
knowledge as possible, especially when experience is lacking *before* you take on
something like a new operating system.  There is no shortage of printed material at
any self respecting bookstore on any particular flavor/distro of Linux.  Personally,
I picked up a 3 inch thick book on RH 6.0 a few years ago that is still the first
place I turn when I have questions or problems (and find a surprising amount of
answers).  Amazingly enough, it has an index, as do the vast majority of the other
books you may find on bookstore shelves.

It would certainly be nice if there was some magical place/program that had all of
the answers, but, as evidenced by posts to this group, not even very experienced
users will ever know *everything* about even a single distribution.  Consequently, I
suppose such a project would always be lacking.

What is feasible, however, is to suggest that new users spend some real time
attempting to read and understand their new system instead of just brute-forcing
their way through it.  Publishers such as O'Reilly take great pains to make certain
that the digestability of their books meet certain standards, all for this reason.

I understand the frustration of the article's author, but as with all other things
in life, with knowledge comes power.  I certainly would never have attempted to
change the head gasket in my father's engine without some understanding of what I
would be facing (Honda never even attempted to provide any information in the
owner's manual).  If you want to do it yourself, whether you are attempting to be
your own sysadmin or car mechanic, fine manuals can make all the difference.  As
long as you read them...

-Mike-