In a message dated: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:08:21 EST
"Mansur, Warren" said:

>One problem I see with man pages is that they throw off the newbie user
>by putting every possible option at the top.  If a new user sees this,
>they will probably be as confused as ever:

Well, yes, but I often find that people's problems with reading man
pages is that they don't know how.  Why?  They never ran 'man man'
which clearly states:

       The following conventions apply to  the  SYNOPSIS  section
       and can be used as a guide in other sections.

       bold text          type exactly as shown.
       italic text        replace with appropriate argument.
       [-abc]             any or all arguments within [ ] are optional.

So, for this one person reading the tar man page, all they needed to
know was that all those things at the top were *options*.

Every now and then I hear this argument that "man pages stink and there
must be a better way!"

Why?  They've worked great for over 30 years.  At one time I was a
newbie and didn't have a clue about Unix, but I got through by
reading man pages, asking questions on mailing lists and usenet, and
surfing the web.  If I can do it, anyone can, as long as they're
patient and willing to roll up their sleeves and read!