Hi all,

While all the offers of alternative methods are genuinely appreciated,
I'm sure, they are not what the OP is looking for.  He's not looking
to create an NFS server or file server of any kind, and networking
does not play a part in what he's trying to do.  If it did, I doubt
he would have asked the question, since I know Tom's a more than
capable sysadmin (he taught me most of what I know).

What Tom *really* wants to do is use a set of IDE disks in a sw RAID
configuration which is connected to his Sun system via SCSI.  That's
it.  It's bizarre, it's wacked, it's probably not something anyone
would ever do for a production environment.  But, it's not for a
production environment :)

It's one of those things where someone has a bunch of pieces and parts and
odds and ends and wants to see if he can't use Linux to glue them all
together.  Much like how people started using Linux as home routers.

This is purely an experiment to see if it *can* be done.  We may well
discover it can't, or, we may discover that with a few mods to the
SCSI code, we can all have cheap IDE RAID boxes connected via SCSI to
our systems.

I hope that clears things up some what.  And, as I said, I'm sure the
OP appreciates the intentions behind all the various alternative
solutions to the problem.
--

Seeya,
Paul