In a message dated: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:35:42 EST
Robert Anderson said:

>Although there should be better protocols than NFS.  I know there are
>ones coming that will be much better!

Yeah, but are we going to have to wait until Dell finishes the
acquisition of HewPaq? ;)

>They are who you might want to watch for the newer NFS protocols that
>are coming.  I think you'll find they will be open standards as well.

If they don't get their lunch eaten by the bigger players in the game.
EMC, Fujitsu, Compaq, and Maxtor to name a few, are all out there going
after that space, as are companies like DotHill (which has to be one of
the dumbest names for a company I've heard ;)

I actually heard a remark that one company is going after the True64
storage market just because it's a $250 million/year market space
completely owned by Compaq.  If they can get even 10% of that market,
they'd be happy, since it's hurting their competitor, Compaq!

Storage is a tight and fierce marketplace.  NetApp ain't all that big
compared to some of the players.
--

Seeya,
Paul