Rodent of Unusual Size <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

>>> Is there any way to get access to the console through the
   serial port?  I have another system that does this for VMS
   and T64U systems (anyone remember VCS?)

Well, when you're on an Alpha system, you always have console
access available, one way or the other, as described in the
hardware box's owners manual. This is independent of the operating
system.

As far as crashing goes on an Alpha, I don't know if ^P is supported
by Linux or not, but I know on Tru64 and OVMS, that will usually
halt the machine or give you a console prompt. Newer systems (i.e.,
most of the PCI-based ones, IIRC) will indeed 'crash' if you say 'crash',
so you don't have to worry about OS-specific hacks the way we did
in the past (e.g., stuffing the PC with -1 or some such nonsense).
Under Tru64, it will yield a specific footprint in the crash dump
that tells us that it was indeed manually/knowingly crashed at the console.

You might want to do some research into the crash tools that were
developed by (all rise) Mission Critical Linux (beseated). They
adapted some of the concepts used on Tru64 and OVMS so that Linux
users (of all, or certainly, many architectures) could get a crash dump.
I don't know if they released any crash analysis tools akin to Tru64's
'crashdc' program, which was a script for the debugger to go into
the crash and print the stack trace, scheduler queue, etc.

I certainly empathise with your situation - hung systems are *never*
fun, regardless of OS or CPU architecture.

HTH,

Bayard

Bayard R. Coolidge      N1HO    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are
Compaq Computer Corp.           solely those of the author, and not
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA      those of Compaq Computer Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (DEC '77-'98)              or any other entity.
"Brake for Moose - It could save your life" - N.H. Fish & Game Dept.