[Apologies for the late replies; my system went into atomic wedgie
mode right around the time I sent, and I've been wading through
mail ever since it came back up.]

Bayard Coolidge USG wrote:

> Well, when you're on an Alpha system, you always have console
> access available, one way or the other, as described in the
> hardware box's owners manual. This is independent of the operating
> system.

Unfortunately, the system I want to be able to control remotely
is an x86 platform.

> You might want to do some research into the crash tools that were
> developed by (all rise) Mission Critical Linux (beseated). They
> adapted some of the concepts used on Tru64 and OVMS so that Linux
> users (of all, or certainly, many architectures) could get a crash dump.
> I don't know if they released any crash analysis tools akin to Tru64's
> 'crashdc' program, which was a script for the debugger to go into
> the crash and print the stack trace, scheduler queue, etc.

I'll check it out (if I can find it).. Thanks!

> "Brake for Moose - It could save your life" - N.H. Fish & Game Dept.

I long since sold the car with that sticker on.  Are they still
available?  (The stickers, not the moose..)
--
#ken    P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"