John Abreau wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Rrr.. one of my servers is requiring intervention (read: rebooting)
> > on an almost daily basis now.  This leads to two questions:
> >
> > 1. Is there any way to get access to the console through the
> >    serial port?  I have another system that does this for VMS
> >    and T64U systems (anyone remember VCS?), but it's unclear
> >    to me whether Linux supports it -- and, if so, how I can
> >    set it up.  I basically want to be able to give an irresistable
> >    three finger salute through the serial port if need be, to
> >    *force* a crash/reboot.
>
> If the system is hung, rebooting like this won't work. There's another
> option I found about a year ago: power strips you can telnet into and
> selectively toggle the power to the machine.
>
> A quick google search turned this up:
>
>     http://www.dataprobe.com/power/iboot.html

        FWIW,

        We're currently experimenting with the PCI version of the PC Weasel
   card(www.realweasel.com).  We haven't had enough time to test it out
   thouroughly, but it's seemed to perform pretty well so far.  In addition
   to providing an ANSI color serial console(BIOS settings from your color
   xterm...)  it's also got a cable you can use to jumper it to the reset
   switch so that you can command it to toggle a hard reset, plus it also
   keeps the last 256 POST codes in a buffer you can examine.  It does
   take over VGA functions, so if your motherboard has an on-board video
   display, you have to be able to either manually disable it, or have the
   BIOS automagically disable it.  Also, it's somewhat pricy... you have
   to really want it.  We have a remotely accessible console management
   system that has logging, so for us it was -very- much worth it(as opposed to
   most KVM switches that have no logging capability at all).

--
  Bob Kenney