----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Ambrose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Benjamin Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Greater NH Linux Users' Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: ATA disks and controllers (was: Hoss Traders)

> darn close to a DOLLAR a GB.  Which is just obscene. ;-)

No, what is obscene is that I paid TWO DOLLARS per MEGABYTE for a 500 MB
Fujitsu drive back in 1994.

What I could do with that grand now if i still had it! Oh well... It was
a nice drive and I believe it still runs (although it's been out of
service for some time.)

As far as WD goes, I refuse to buy them. I had a very bad run a few
years ago when the 2.5 GB drives were mainstream. I had about 4 drives
that I had come into contact with, either mine or clients', that failed.
Two were still under warranty, two were JUST out of warranty (3 years I
believe.) Both were replaced, and both subsequently have failed. For
those keeping score, that is EVERY SINGLE WD drive that I have seen has
failed.

Other drives I have from Conner, Seagate, Fujitsu, Maxtor, and yes, even
IBM are still running fine. Even my 4 60GXPs are all still running
(knock on wood.)

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES