On Wed, 1 May 2002, Benjamin Scott wrote:

>   I'm more interested in the fact that WDC will RMA the drive for two years
> longer than Maxtor will.  3-year vs 5-year warranty.

I dunno; a five-year warranty on a hard drive strikes me as being akin to
the warranty on a $5.95 calculator I saw once: free, but "please include
$10.00 S&H."  After five years, odds are good you could replace the hard
drive multiple times over with whatever the trailing edge in hard drives
is.  Heck -- some seven years ago, I lost a bet that hard drives wouldn't
hit $300/GB in a certain timeframe (I was off by a month or two); now it's
darn close to a DOLLAR a GB.  Which is just obscene. ;-)

$.02,

-Ken