On Wed, 1 May 2002, Benjamin Scott wrote:
>   So, does anyone have any opinions about ATA hard disks?  I am looking at
> the 80 GB Western Digital model WD800BB:

Western Dig. used to be the choice disk maker, however recently they've
been suckin' as bad as quantum.  I'd go with Maxtor - their RMA policy is
the best.  WD's warantee may be better, but I honestly think their RMA
policy is pretty bad.  They may have changed it recently.

>   The only other alternative I am likely to find at a local shop appears to
> be Maxtor, and both the specs and the warranty are not as good for the
> Maxtor as they are for the WDC units.

WD and Maxtor are pretty similar as far as quality goes (I believe), the
only one to avoid that I've found is IBM and their dexstar (sp?) drives...
they're using some kind of material that doesn't stand up well to
continued use.  We've tried to RMA some drives here that fell under this
and they said no, due to the fact that their Tech Specs say .. 3000 hours
a month or something like that.

>   My motherboard has a High-Point HPT370 ATA controller built-in.  Does
> anyone know if this controller works with Linux?  Do I need a special
> driver?  Are there any special tweaks I should use to make it perform well?
> I have never even hooked anything up to it before now.

Mine works fine with the 2.4.?? kernel (I can check the exact rev when I
get home) - I didn't have to do much special other than turn it on when I
recompiled the kernel.

I think I have a 13G SCSI drive at home you could borrow for the show if
you'd rather go that way.  It's 68 pin.  Let me know

Ben

--

 To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme
 excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.