On Wednesday, 12 August 1998, "Jeffrey B. Reed" writes:

> I would like to make the following proposal for the binary
> distribution of the Windows NT version of lilypond.

It would be nice if you would want to do the binary windows
releases too.
You may have noticed the change in email addressess

[..]

> 3. Initially this distribution would be a zip file.  The installation
>    should require an unzip with little to no post installation steps
>    other than setting the path variable.
>
> 4. Eventually I would like to see an InstallShield like installation
>    interface.  I have searched for a freeware version of such a thing
>    and have not been successful.

I'm curious to see what cygnus is going to do.  As you (cc's:might) know,
i had to do some work on windows over the last year.  The cygnus tools
were a great help for me.  Strangly enough, the only thing i eventually
couldn't do over my favourite telnet session, was upgrading the cygnus
tools, as it used InstallShield (duh).  I personally wouldn't be impressed
if upgrading LilyPond were the other one thing i couldn't do over telnet...

Cygnus is probably (hopefully) going to distribute their next version of
the tools in rpm.  That could be cool for LilyPond too (upgrading!).

However, i'm not a windows user, and windows users should (?) get what they
want.

> 3. Search path separation in Windows is ';' not ':'.
>
>    o I believe I remember seeing a cpp macro in the flower lib for the
>      search path separation character.

Same for this.  If i had to use windows, i'd use the bash shell all the
time, and want everything to be unix-style...
I have no idea what the typical lilypond-on-windows user looks like.

> 4. Environment variables.  Not being an experienced NT user I don't
>    know if this is an issue or not.  Many programs seem to set values
>    in the registry during the post installation process.  I'm not so
>    crazy about this however.

I'm not too fond of the registry too..

> 5. I presently can not generate the web documentation due to my
>    inability to find command line graphic translators for the Windows
>    NT platform.
>
>    o Any suggestions for pstogif etc. on windows?

Well, ps-to-gif uses ghostscript, which is available for windows.
Have you tried compiling the ppm tools under cygnus?

[rest of fine proposal snipped]

> DIRECTORY STRUCTURE
> -------------------
>
> lilypond-1.0.1
> |
> +---bin

It's all a question of what LilyPond should look like or work with best;
the cygnus-like unix environment, or the windows environment.

Maybe other windows users can respond?

> Optimistically,

Good luck!

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/lilypond