On Friday, 4 December 1998, Adrian Mariano writes:
> > \score{
> >         <
> >         \type Staff \notes { c  ~ c ~ c ~ c }
> >         \type Lyrics \lyrics { bla2. __ _ }
> >         >
> > }
> >

> Ok.  I understand now.  Is the implementation correct?  (I just don't
> know the answer to this.)  Which is right:
>

>    o    o     o     o
>   foo__________     bar
>

>    o    o     o     o
>   foo______________ bar
>

> (LilyPond produces the 2nd one.)

That depends on the slurred/tied notes above the text.
Because the "bar" is of no importance to the extender,
both examples could be equal.

The extender should extend until the start of the last note
of the melissima.

> Another question:  (I'm using version 1.1.8)
>
> foobar.ly:4:38: warning: unterminated extender:
>         \type Lyrics \lyrics { bla1 __
>                                         }
>

> Is it really desireable to bind these extenders to the next lyric?  It
> seems odd to have to write a blank note as in the example above.  If I
> want my music to end with an extender, I should just be able to write
> "bla1 __"

Theoretically, it should be possible, but this is very tricky.  To be able
to do this, Lily needs to know to what melody the lyrics belong, in order
to find the last note of the melissima.

So, for now, and probably a long time to come, you should enter:

  text <duration melissima minus last note>  __ _ <duration last note melissima>

i.e.:

   c2 ~ c2 ~ c4 r4 r2 c2  ...
   bla1 __   _4 _2.   foo ...

requiring the _4 makes it a lot easier to set the right extender.

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/lilypond