John Sankey wrote:

> Why not write music as many ways as alphabet font designers do?
> Because it's a waste of time for someone who wants to use the
> music, rather than look at an art object! 95% of books are
> published in Times Roman, because it works for books that work
> for a living.
>
> IMHO, your work would be more useful if you spent the time
> putting new music on the Web rather than fussing over details
> that affect very little how useful the music is.
>
> But, if this view upsets you, don't get more upset trying to
> answer it!

I actually can't see your point - no offense, but I can't ?

The music notation has been evolving up to this very day,
exactly because the music has (whether it is published
on the web or not).  And the notation has been following on,
for example: before Bartok meters like 7/8 were rare in
Western music, after - they became state of the art.
Or before the invention of the welltempered tuning,
you didn't use accidentals that much, after you do , and
now they are permanent. Before jazz, you didn't see
symbols for "doit" or other effects, and you could continue,
not least when including the contemporary music.

Okay, now - did you know that manuscripts by Strawinsky,
and other significant composers are highly valued
collectors items ? Well not just because they are "one
of a kind" but because they reflect the composers thinking
in a unique way, and has a certain look. When composers turn
to computers, there seem to be a tendency to just go along with
whatever typography is available, and that - I think - is not the
best thing in the world. This do however not mean that I say to people
"remake your handwriting in a font" or "design your own fonts", but
my aim is that: it is possible to use a computer to create scores
which are inovative and unique, the computer should not be an excuse
not to do that if you get exited about it, and if you dont - well
dont do that then - as it is a free world.

So - you see, I dont get it - why are you so upset ?

By the way to the others here on this list, I am somewhat surprised
by the tone in John Sankey's mail to me, is this a general attitude
here ?

I mean I really try to be constructive, because I like the GNU music
initiative, I don't want to upset anyone - after all I am just aiming
at giving some stuff away in the best FSF sense, I didn't expect to
get yelled at :-)

--
Respectfully yours,
Michael Nyvang.