[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > IMHO, your work would be more useful if you spent the time
> > putting new music on the Web rather than fussing over details
> > that affect very little how useful the music is.
> >
> > But, if this view upsets you, don't get more upset trying to
> > answer it!
>
> I actually can't see your point - no offense, but I can't ?
[..]
> by the tone in John Sankey's mail to me, is this a general attitude
> here ?

Perhaps I need to make some things more clear.  My goal is to build a
fine music typesetting package usable for absolute idiots.  John's
goal is to put as many works by Scarlatti, Bach and contemporaries on
the web.  Both John and I have the delusion that we're doing something
important and useful and we are a little disappointed when others
don't share our Grand Visions For New World Orders :-).  I think you
should view his (and my) words from this perspective.

So no offense intended, we just have slightly different goals.

> in a unique way, and has a certain look. When composers turn
> to computers, there seem to be a tendency to just go along with
> whatever typography is available, and that - I think - is not the
> best thing in the world.

You are right.  But (from my perspective) you are a little early with
extending fonts: our current typography programs lack the finesse to
produce the one style we want (classical late 19th century german
engraving), so methinks it is a little premature to adapt the programs
to produce different styles.  For example: our current font lacks
symbols (eg, pedal signs, coda signs), so if I could do wishes, I
would rather have those first.

OTOH, if you do make a new font, I will be happy to adapt LilyPond to
use them. One word of caution is in place: music fonts are no text
fonts, and I think that it will be difficult to design a font that is
usable both for LilyPond and for other packages.

> I mean I really try to be constructive, because I like the GNU music
> initiative, I don't want to upset anyone - after all I am just aiming
> at giving some stuff away in the best FSF sense, I didn't expect to
> get yelled at :-)

Don't be offended ... We're generally a bunch of nice people.  We
don't kill and don't steal :-)