[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > OTOH, if you do make a new font, I will be happy to adapt LilyPond to
> > use them. One word of caution is in place: music fonts are no text
> > fonts, and I think that it will be difficult to design a font that is
> > usable both for LilyPond and for other packages.
>
> Yes I know, but I will try it anyway, there is not any other way to
> find out for sure :-).
>
> I will look at the symbols you need, which char slot do you want
> them to go in ? Should I just put them in where there are room
> and send the ATM + .mf files then ?

LilyPond does not use a fixed encoding.  We regularly add and remove
characters, so they don't have fixed slots.  We identify the
characters by name.  AFM files (I assume you mean those) are generated
from the MF sources, so there is no need for sending those separately.
If you want to get involved in font-design, and like programming, the
way to go is to read or download the metafont book, and get
accustomed to writing MetaFont.