On Monday, 6 September 1999, John Sankey writes:

> \time 4/4;
> time4_4beamAutoBegin = 0;
> time4_4beamAutoEnd = "1/4";
> time4_4beamAutoEnd_8 = "1/2";

[..]

> Perhaps a clearer case would be the measure
> 16 16 8 16 16 8 8 8 8 8|
> At present, the autobeamer beams it as
> [16 16 8 16 16 8] [8 8 8 8]|

Uhm, sorry, that's the 'bug' in .6 that I mentioned.  From the above
settings, the entry

    time4_4beamAutoEnd_16 = "1/4";

was removed by accident (or actually, the 6 was changed to a 2,
meaning to *add* a time4_4beamAutoEnd_12  entry).

If you add the _16 entry again, the autobeamer will beam as you
describe below:

> I assume because the AutoEnd_8 = "1/2"; rule is applied at the
> first 8, thus continuing the beam. If, however, the "shortest rule"
> (i.e. 16) AutoEnd = "1/4"; is applied there, one would get
> [16 16 8] [16 16 8] [8 8 8 8]|

> which I feel is a more musically appropriate beaming in most cases.
>
> Does this stand up?

Yes.  This is what the autobeamer has been doing for months, except
for the few latest releases.

> PS: Since there is no exact reciprocal of 8., if one did want to
> handle them specially, would the syntax be
> time4_4beamAutoEnd_8. = "1/2";  ?

3_16 is ok?

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/