JN: "All music and all books on engraving that I've ever seen, have
stems extended to the centre line ... What you request is new to me."

Well, it's only new to the 20th century :)

Actually, almost all harpsichord music I have, old and modern, puts
low note stems down, high note stems up - I had to look a fair bit
along my shelves before I found the converse. But, when I did find
isolated notes far enough off staff center with stems facing inward:

J.S.Bach didn't extend them (the Brandenburg Concerti presentation
  manuscript),
Scarlatti didn't (I've 2000 pages of that),
Rameau didn't (La Dauphine, 1747)
even Brahms didn't (his 1888 edition of Pieces de Clavecin
  by Francois Couperin)...

Not bad company to be in :-)

John