> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:09:26 -0400 (EDT)
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Sankey)

[...]
> J.S.Bach didn't extend them (the Brandenburg Concerti presentation
>   manuscript),
> Scarlatti didn't (I've 2000 pages of that),
> Rameau didn't (La Dauphine, 1747)
> even Brahms didn't (his 1888 edition of Pieces de Clavecin
>   by Francois Couperin)...
>
> Not bad company to be in :-)

Yeah! Ff you like handwritten music with curved stems, curved beams - I like
them, too, and missed them in my typesetting of Bach's Sonatas and Partitas
for Violin Solo -, "knee"-beams, stems crossing and extending beams, ...

http://www.gmd.de/Misc/Music/scores/bach/sonatas_and_partitas/bwv1001.gif

Exercise: try to write an algorith for stem lengths and stem directions in
          this small sample :-)