> Arg.  I take it, this is a bigger problem than two different cygwin1.dlls?
> (I assume you copied cygwin1-net-485.dll to cygwin1.dll).

Yes, this is what I did.

> Hmm, I think that I know what this is, a bug for powerpc was only
> fixed in 1.3.4.
>
> You can try this, it should work:
>
> Edit the file 'lily.scm', somewhere in /Cygnus/usr/share/lilypond/scm/.

And with those changes in place, it works!  [Cue angelic choirs]
Unfortunately, I don't have TeX installed on my winbox so I can't check the
output.  :-(  I know that lily can do straight output to PostScript, only I
don't know what the switch is and lilypond --help doesn't mention it.  I
tried running ly2dvi --help (after renaming it to ly2dvi.exe), but it only
caused screenshots of my DOS session to be continuously sent to the
printer...  *sigh*

-- Shamus