On Wednesday, 29 March 2000, Alain CULOS writes:

> > However, I still feel that dropping
> > cygwin.dll is a non-issue, once we're in sync with the new cygnus release.
>
> Well, yes and no.
>
> 1/ *you* may be in sync for a while but then cygwin may update again.

Nah, I'll update too.  I've always got the latest stuff :-)
No, but seriously, cygnus is partitioning their distribution into
much smaller packages, which will make updating less painful.

> 2/ the *user* may not like to have to download cygwin just to be in sync. The
    + re
> maybe good reasons for that : if it works ain't good changing it and you know
    +  what
> software development is like, when a lily *user* is also a developper on some
    +  other
> scene, he has other constraints and time scales for updating might not coinci
    + de.

We'll see when that time arrives.  Anyway, Lily is free software, and if
people don't like the binary release, they can build their own.

> So I think that the dll issue is and will remain an issue unless we can find
    + a
> mechanism to use two cygwin dlls under different names or in such a fashion t
    + hat
> they will not colide with each other.

This has just been solved.  As it turns out, the old (b20.1) cygwin1.dll can
be replaced by the new one, and all seems fine.

Greetings,

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter