> Almost, I hope.  You'd have to create symlinks to
>
>    ../lilypond/tfm.1 -> /miktex/.../fonts/tfm/cm

Even though I made this link, it still says:

Interpreting music...[6]
Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions... warning: can't find font: `cmr10'
warning: Loading default font
error: can't find default font: `cmr10'
ly2dvi hmm, I could not find an output file name

Does it give this error when it can't find msam10.tfm?

> or where your cmr10.tfm lives, and to
>
>    ../lilypond/tfm.2 -> /miktex/.../fonts/tfm/ams/symbols
>
> or where your msam10.tfm lives (for the black triangle in chords).

Hmm.  This was *not* in my MiKTeX distro, though the msam10.mf file is
living under c:\texmf\fonts\source\ams\symbols...  I wonder why there's no
corresponding .tfm file?

> I don't know what to do about this, maybe we should have a simple
> script for windows.  Do you have something like kpsewhich?
>
>    08:38:43 appel ~/usr/src/lilypond-1.3.73$ kpsewhich cmr10.tfm
>    /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/jknappen/sauter/cmr10.tfm

I don't know why, but for some reason kpathsea & kpsewhich didn't get ported
in MiKTeX, and there doesn't seem to be any mechanism there which is
comparable.  I don't know what else to do, since the symlinks don't seem to
work anymore.  IIRC, JBR used to just stick the whole "cm" subdirectory in
the lily tree instead of a symlink (he renamed it to "cmtfm", I used
"tfm.1") but even this approach doesn't work...

-- Shamus

BTW, I've tried to get lily to compile under Cygwin but with no success--it
seems that guile won't compile in that environment for some reason (it
chokes on and-let*.scm)...  JBR--How about it?  Have you been able to
successfully compile lily using the latest Cygwin?