> > > \include "english.ly";  % English for crying out loud...
>
> Hey, I can't help it if I'm biased (ducks flames)!  ;-)  But seriously, does
> lily have a master configuration file somewhere where you can set attributes
> like that without having to include something in your source (like bash &
> .bashrc--maybe a .lilyrc)?

You could make the changes in the file init.ly or
declarations.ly. The problem is that you have to
remember it every time you upgrade Lilypond (the rest
of the file might have changed.

One solution could be to add a directory first in LILYINCLUDES
where you put a file "declarations.ly" with the following
contents:

\include "<full path to the default declarations.ly>"

% Private changes:
\include "english.ly"

    /Mats