On Tuesday, 29 August 2000, "James Hammons" writes:

> Well, now I'm truly mystified...

Ah, seems easy to fix.  See below.

> I copied your setup/mounts and this is
> what I get:
>
> $ lilypond --verbose example-1.ly
> GNU LilyPond 1.3.81.jcn1
> error: can't find file: `lily.scm' (load path:
> `:/Cygwin/usr/lilypond-1.3.81.jcn
> 1/share/lilypond/ly:/Cygwin/usr/lilypond-1.3.81.jcn1/share/lilypond/afm:/Cyg
> win/
> usr/lilypond-1.3.81.jcn1/share/lilypond/scm:/Cygwin/usr/lilypond-1.3.81.jcn1
> /sha
> re/lilypond/tfm:/Cygwin/usr/lilypond-1.3.81.jcn1/share/lilypond/ps')

The latets guile looks in /Cygwin/usr/ .. etc, because I found that the
default Cygwin install is in /Cygwin, and not in /Cygnus as I assumed.

So, you'll have to make another symlink in bash:

    ln -s / /Cygwin

(Note that you can always set $LILYPONDPREFIX and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH to
get these things right.)

> I wasn't able to get .bashrc to work, so I had to use .profile (which seems
> to work fine):

Did you specify a bash shell in /etc/passwd?

> Also, I had to create the two links that you have in your Cygwin root, as
> well as create /mnt/c:

Yes.  I just found that, using the latest cygwin setup (1.1.3), you can do

    ls /cygdrive/c

without the mounting and symlinking tricks that I did.  Oh well.

> Kpsewhich is not part of the standard MiKTeX distro, but I managed to find
> an old one that I could use (from an old lily distro).  It found the .tfm
> files with no problems:

> james@DEVATHLON ~
> $ kpsewhich feta20.tfm
> /usr/lilypond-1.3.81.jcn1/share/lilypond/tfm/feta20.tfm

Ok, did you install the latest teTeX-src (misleading automatically-generated
name) and teTeX-MikTeX binary packages from appel?  teTeX-src provides
a kpsewhich, teTeX-MikTeX should set some config stuff right.

With these packages, lilypond, through kpathsea, tetex scripts and miktex,
even generates .tfm's on the fly!

> I had to create the /mnt/c entry in the mount table:

Ok.  Me too.

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter