Bryan Larsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'll take this opportunity to ask: what are the priorities of the
> developers?

I have an un-prioritized list of goals that are medium-short term.

New features:
  - recurring transactions
  - non-gnuplot graphing, including bar and pie charts, line and scatter
    graphs.
  - printing of graphs, checks, reports, and registers
  - add bulk-modify functionality to the search results register.
    as the user's accounting knowledge becomes more sophisticated,
    it should be easy to "find and replace" on the Transfer From,
    amount, or any other field.
  - investment/savings goals and funds "earmarking".  People seem to
    really want this, and I think there's a way to do it correctly
    with only minor modifications to the engine.

Usability/stability improvements:
  - clean up the register.  There are a few places where it's hard to
    make the thing happen that you want to happen next, and a few where
    numbers do "surprising" things.
  - make the QIF import code rock-solid.  This will probably be new users'
    first use of the program, so it should go smoothly.
  - fix multi-currency and localization support.  This has come a LONG
    way, quickly, but there are some remaining problems.
  - fix handling of securities and brokerage accounts through
    meta-information.  We should be able to tie accounts together
    in a logical structure that's unrelated to their positions on the
    balance sheet, and maybe have an alternate account tree view that
    shows "groupings" rather than a hierarchy (i.e. dividend, security,
    and commission accounts for a given security grouped together).
  - figure out some way to handle stock splits.  Nobody seems to have a
    clue what the split transaction looks like.

Wizards:  I hate 'em but I think we need some.
  - wizard to help with initial account setup.  Getting this right the
    first time makes a lot of things easier later on.
  - wizard to handle common major financial decisions, like buying
    a house, having a baby, etc.

Installation:
  - this is probably gnucash-as-a-company specific, but we need a
    really, really good CD installer that will do the Right Thing
    on any kind of Linux installation without egregious bloat.
    The prerequisites: on an up-to-date Debian or Red Hat system,
    the install should consist of one (or just a few, if
    some additional software is needed) RPM or .deb install, and
    a statically-linked binary is an absolute last resort.

That's a lot of work.  But they are (mostly) small jobs and (mostly)
straightforward.

b.g.