--On December 31, 2011 6:17:13 PM -0500 Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:

On Sat, December 31, 2011 5:46 pm, Mike Alexander wrote:
--On December 31, 2011 6:22:55 PM +0000 Hendrik Boom
<hend...@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:19:58 +0100, Geert Janssens wrote:

This is probably a more drastic change than guile 2.0, but:

There's another implementation of Scheme available that actually
compiles  Scheme to C or C++ -- Gambit-C.  You can actually embed
C++ code within  the C code, even #include stuff.  There's also an
interpreter, but the  interpreter doesn't have embedded C/C++ code,
though it can call  previously compiled code that does.  The Debian
package is called gambc. I have no idea whether this would be easier
to use and maintain than  using guile.

I don't know anything about Gambit-C, but it's also available in
MacPorts on MacOSX.  The description sounds promising.  The home page
is at
<http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>
where they also link to Windows (and iPad!) installers.

Is it really worth our time to find another scheme implementation and
swap everything over to it?  I would think that it would be better to
write a report infrastructure in a language that would seem more
"popular" (python), build in the infrastructure, and then send out a
call for report writers to convert the existing scheme reports over
to the new language.

That's a very good question. I think the answer depends to some extent on the effort involved. Switching languages will likely be non-trivial, switching to Gambit might be easier (I don't really know). I wasn't advocating switching to Gambit, just pointing out that this is a possibility that might be worth considering. As I said I know almost nothing about Gambit. Switching languages might be better but choosing a language may be more difficult than it seems. Python is popular now, but will it be in 10 years? I've seen lots of languages come and go.

         Mike