--On December 31, 2011 6:31:34 PM -0500 Donald Allen <donaldcal...@gmail.com> wrote:

If there is agreement among the developers that this is an attractive
alternative to Guile, I would advise doing some prototyping to
evaluate the performance of Python for report generation. My guess is
that it will be faster than Guile, but that's only a guess. It should
be tested before committing to it. One of the problems (and not the
only one) with the current report system is performance, and it would
not be smart to invest a lot of effort in a new system that had the
same problem.

Having looked at a number of reports, and optimized some by factors of 5 or more, I don't think changing the language will help this problem. Even if the Guile interpreter were infinitely fast, some reports would still be slow because of the algorithms they use. They often do multiple passes over large searches through the Gnucash data. That is where the time often goes. Of course if all the reports were rewritten, these problems might be fixed in passing.

        Mike