On Sun, 2023-06-25 at 19:33 -0500, David Carlson wrote:
> Well, I am running GnuCash 4.8 usually in Ubuntu 22.04, and I see
> that the Preferences window fills the vertical space where my display
> is set to 1366 x 768.  There is no need for the window to be that
> tall and fixed in size without a scrollbar.  I would file an
> enhancement bug report to give that window a scrollbar, if nobody
> else beats you to it.
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 7:07 PM NoobAlice <noobal...@airmail.cc>
> wrote:
> > Default User hunguponcontent,
> >
> > This is probably a Wayland windowing system problem, not a GnuCash
> > problem.  On Xorg, the window is easily resizable and movable.
> >
> > What have you tried besides changing the display resolution back
> > and forth?
> >
> > If you were on Xorg, I would say try these individual solutions on
> > the
> > Preferences window:
> > * dragging the grabbable titlebar of the window down, then using
> > your
> > mouse to resize the window shorter, then dragging it up so you can
> > see
> > the bottom
> > * holding down your Alt key and then click-holding your normal
> > (left)
> > mouse button and dragging the window with your mouse
> > * hitting Alt+F7, then using your arrow keys to move the window and
> > hitting Enter when you have it where you want it
> > * hitting Alt+F8, then using your arrow keys to resize the sides of
> > the
> > window and hitting Enter when you have it where you want it
> >
> > And then I would tell you that, if this window is appearing in the
> > wrong
> > place all the time, you could install and set up devilspie to fix
> > it
> > permanently.  :)
> >
> > Surely Wayland has some similar way to manipulate windows.  My
> > quick
> > search says that shortcuts are handled by the compositor in Wayland
> > [1].
> >   You might get much better answers if you ask in the Gnome support
> > channels.
> >
> > Good luck!  This is a frustrating problem to have. :(
> >
> > [1]
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wayland#Input_grabbing_in_games,_remote_desktop_and_VM_windows
> >

> > On 2023-06-25 03:08 PM, Default User wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I am trying to set up GnuCash:
> > >
> > > Version: 4.13
> > > Build ID: 4.13+(2022-12-17)
> > > Finance::Quote: 1.54
> > >
> > > on Debian 12 (bookworm), 64-bit, using Gnome 43.4, wayland
> > > windowing
> > > system (not xorg).
> > >
> > > This is a .deb package, "GnuCash Version: 1:4.13-1, Built-Using:
> > > googletest (= 1.12.1-0.2)", from the Debian Stable repositories,
> > > NOT a
> > > flatpak, snap, or appimage.
> > >
> > > When I do Edit --> Preferences, the Preferences window opens, but
> [...]

Hi!

Well, doing Alt-F7, then moving bit by bit with the arrow keys, did
work to move the window up, so it can be used to edit the Preferences
window. I thought I had tried that earlier without success, but maybe I
just wasn't doing it "right".

Unfortunately, nothing worked to resize the window.  It seems to have a
minimum vertical and horizontal size programmed in, so that it can be
resized to be bigger than, but not smaller than the built-in minimum
dimensions.

BTW, regarding this problem, there did not seem to be any difference at
all between using wayland and using xorg. So that's doesn't seem to be
the source of the problem.

Anyway, thanks to David and NoobAlice for the hints!