While I agree with Liz's point with regard to different learning modalities, I
still think it is a good practice to at least skim the available documentation
and particularly read at least the Basics section of the Guide before diving
in.

The underlying concepts to accounting and even the debit/credit nomenclature is
not all that difficult, just a few  rules and basic  arithmetic and having that
straight initially makes the rest a lot easier.

The main advantage of doing so is it gives you some vocabulary to use to ask
questions with. I must confess I generally don't with programs myself, however I
have both a programming background and in the case of GnuCash an accounting
background.

David Cousens