I'm on Win 11 Gnucash 5.3 and I do have the same problem.

An actual example: I wanted to change an existing transaction description
from "Vodafone bill" to "Outstanding Vodafone bill". I put the cursor at
the start of the old text and typed "Outstanding ". The description (still
in edit mode, before pressing ENTER) now reads "Outstanding Vodafone bill",
exactly as I intended. However, underneath appears a list of
suggested autocompletions. "*Don't autocomplete*" is at the top of the
list, but it's not the default. When I pressed ENTER as normal, Gnucash
replaced "Outstanding Vodafone bill" to its chosen default "Outstanding Sky
Protect fees".

Bizarre or what? This action is not autocomplete (i.e. adding text you
haven't yet typed), it's autoedit (changing text you've already typed) with
a very low threshold of similarity for deciding to change the description
to match other entries.

Worse, as far as I can see I can't undo the change. I have to retype the
entry and remember to select Don't autocomplete.

Whilst I can see that autocomplete (and perhaps even autoedit) could be
useful at times, I would much prefer to have "Don't autocomplete" as the
default.

Ruaraidh