Hi Alan,

In case you or anyone else is interested, here is a brief example of offset
mortgage - it is not uncommon in NZ but not sure what it's called in
other countries or if it's even a thing:

An offset mortgage doesn’t affect the value of your savings. Instead, your
> savings are deposited with the bank, and their value is ‘offset’ against
> your mortgage balance. For example, if you have a $500,000 mortgage and
> $20,000 in cash savings, you’ll only pay interest on $480,000. You won’t
> earn in interest on the cash savings as you usually would while it’s part
> of the offset mortgage.

Source: https://www.moneyhub.co.nz/offset-mortgages.html

As for the reporting issues using the asset/liability pairs, I guess
technically the reports are accurate, but I have to keep remembering to
deduct certain things - and that's when I start making mistakes or at least
get really confused.

Equities nearly never show up in any reports, so are a nice hack. So
my Equity/Liability
pair method
<https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2024-August/112596.html>
so far seems to be one possible solution to my problem.
I *think* (or hope) I'm not abusing equites going by the fact that my net
worth appears to be what I would expect, but I could certainly be wrong
about that.

I must admit I have avoided using Equities as much as possible because I am
sure I don't fully understand how they are supposed to work.

Cheers,
Daniel S
--
In the beginning Kibo created the Internet. Now the Internet was formless,
and empty. Randomness was upon the face of computing, and the Spirit of