On 15 May 2012 14:35, James Ryley <ja...@ryley.com> wrote:
> Hi Stevan,
>
> I'm curious as to why you think a "right is a right." I agree that the
> wording and apparent meaning are strange, but I also feel that at the same
> time, strange though it may be, the meaning is clear. There is nothing
> saying that a contract cannot have conditional logic in it. So, in this
> case:
>
> 1) If your institution does not mandate institutional deposit, you may
> deposit.
> 2) Otherwise, you may not.

What are the temporal aspects here? If an author posts something
*before* their institution subsequently mandates institutional
deposit, are they in trouble? (or even if they change affiliations to
an institution that mandates, etc.). If they have multiple
institutional affiliations (visiting fellows, etc.), can they post
voluntarily to one institution while being mandated to post at the
other, etc?

Dan