On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Jan Velterop <velte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 May 2012, at 17:12, Jean-Claude Guédon wrote:
>
> With due respect, Jean-Claude, but there is absolutely nothing that stops
> the scientific community from organising itself, select editors and
> editorial boards and establish journals. In principle, that is. In
> practice, well, they don't do it, at least not to a sufficient degree. It
> is this academic inertia that gave publishers an opportunity to fill the
> gap.
>
> There are several areas where academics manage peer-review:
* student theses
* new courses
* promotion boards
* grant reviews
* workshop proceedings

I have participated in all of these (as I am sure many other readers
have).  Academics can manage this if they have_to/need_to. The last two, in
particular, approach the scale required for publications.

> I presume 'searchability' means discoverability here, and I'm pretty sure
> all Elsevier articles and any articles published by any serious publisher,
> for profit or NfP, are fully indexed by Google and their ilk. Searching in
> general for literature on any publisher's journal platform site other than
> for specific articles you know or suspect have been published by that
> publisher, is naive.
>
> The intrinsic "competition" of the publishing industry means that
searchability becomes similar to constructing a journey out of multiple
transport operators. The apparent "competition" actually holds back
progress and adds very little other than (unnecessary) visual effects.

> Again, there is absolutely nothing, in principle, that stops the
> scientific community from organising itself and establishing a
> comprehensive reference and abstract database. In the life sciences it's
> been done by PubMed (admittedly not quite academics themselves, but at
> least an academic funding body, the NIH). Why don't they do it?
>
> PubMed has huge constraints imposed by publishers. For example there is a
limit of two publications for download. You cannot systematically download
Pubmed.

The NIH is among the most advanced informatics organizations in the world.
The Entrez system - introduced in the later 1980s was stunningly
imaginative. They would do all of this and much more *if they were allowed
to*. But one squeak of doing something better than the publishers and the
latter send their hired dogs to congress - and yes, that include Elsevier.
PubChem - a free index of chemistry? The ACS denounced it as "socialized
science" and did their best to kill it. A free government resource in the
US competing against the holy private sector In which the ACS puts itself)
had to be challenged.

> The only credible myth-busters would be academics themselves. Where are
> they?

Following the laws of thermodynamics
Universities have enough resources to change the publishing system. (first
law)
Change requires reorganizing finances and collaboration (second law)
Universities will never collaborate (third law)

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics