Lots of valid viewpoints. We can agree, we can disagree. But somewhere there
needs to be some action. My suggestion is aimed at top-level OA policy-making,
at updated advice from BOAI, and from governments and funders agitating for
open access, such as in the UK.

Broad policy should be set to allow two specific routes to OA:

1 Gold-only journals, CC-BY only
2 Green (best model policy to be specified, no publisher fudges allowed)

Do NOT allow

3 Hybrid journals.

Hybrid journals are 'experiments'; it's time to decide green or gold, or call
the publishers' bluff. Without this the advisory committees will be mired.

I believe the political will is there. Now is the moment for clear decisive
action.

The objective is clear - open access. We should not let the common desire for
open access to divide. Remove non-OA from the equation and the two routes will
take care of themselves.

Steve Hitchcock
WAIS Group, Building 32
School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevehit
Connotea: http://www.connotea.org/user/stevehit
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 9379    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 9379