      From: Alma Swan <a.s...@talk21.com>
      Subject: Re: Rights Reductio Ad Absurdum
      To: american-scientist-open-access-fo...@listserver.sigmaxi.org
      Date: Tuesday, 11 January, 2011, 5:33

      Charles Openheim wrote:

                  >  I negotiated with Elsevier when my
                  article was accepted by one of their jo=
                  > urnals.  My refusal to assign copyright
                  was at the time a matter of princip=
                  > le rather than any anticipation of the OA
                  movement.  So issues of having to=

                         >  later negotiate permission to
self-archive
      never arose.

      Elsevier has a Licence To Publish which it will provide if an author
      declines to click through its Copyright Transfer Agreement online.

      I offered Elsevier the SPARC/Science Commons Author Addendum instead
      of signing the CTA and in response was sent the LTP. It allows the
      author to keep all the rights needed for personal dissemination,
      re-use, etc while obtaining, for Elsevier, sole rights to publish it
      in a journal. Since most articles are not ever destined to be
      published in more than one journal, this seems a very satisfactory
      solution for the majority of cases.

      Alma Swan
      Key Perspectives Ltd
      Truro, UK