From: Repositories discussion list [mailto:jisc-repositor...@jiscmail.ac.uk]
On Behalf Of Stevan Harnad
Sent: Saturday, 16 March 2013 1:15 PM
To: jisc-repositor...@jiscmail.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Harnad Comments on Proposed HEFCE/REF Green Open Access Mandate

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Graham Triggs <grahamtri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On 14 March 2013 22:14, Stevan Harnad <har...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

Why is it an absurd requirement to deposit immediately in the author's IR,
regardless of whether the

journal is subscription or OA and of whether the deposit is embargoed or
immediate OA?

That simple, natural, uniform local deposit procedure is precisely what
makes it easy for an institution

to monitor compliance.

[Arthur] But of course it is totally irrelevant. Compliance has no link with
deposit in the case of already OA articles, and indeed is not even easy to
determine. Any senior manager (I was one) would want much better compliance
certification than a deposit! Some IRs have so low visibility on the
Internet as to be below the radar. I don't want to publicise them, because
they are incompetent.

imho, there are some significant unanswered questions regarding the
HEFCE/REF proposals, which ultimately boil down to a couple of points. The
main one actually being covered by what you've said above.

Sure, an institution can monitor compliance. In fact, as they run the
repository, they are the only ones that can effectively monitor compliance.
So how exactly are the requirements going to be audited and enforced?

There is no requirement to make the metadata public. There is no requirement
to have the metadata harvested (whether public or not). There isn't even a
requirement to have a "request a copy" feature (without which, the
usefulness of immediate deposit is rather lost).

And nor can there be in any useful time period for the first post-2014 REF.
These things will take time to build and/or implement. So there isn't any
effective way to audit that deposits were made, much beyond actually being
fully open access when the embargo ends at best, and possibly even only at
the time of the return at worst.

I think you are mistaken -- and that you are vastly under-estimating the
reach of this simple REF/HEFCE policy:

(1) It is institutions that have always shown intense eagerness and
initiative in ensuring that their researchers comply with all RAE and REF
conditions.

[Arthur] Australian institutions have shown zero eagerness, but respond to
compulsion. Otherwise they would not get grants. Strong incentive. Low
initiative.

(2) The proposed REF mandate makes it very explicit that REF submissions are
ineligible if they are not deposited immediately upon publication. (No
waiting till near the end of the 6-year REF cycle to deposit.)

[Arthur] Australian universities have sent annual publication data to the
Australian Government for well over 20 years. Not full-texts sure, but the
reporting cycle is entrenched in HERDC. Compulsory.

(3) Compliance is based on two objective, verifiable data-points:
publication date and IR deposit date.

[Arthur] No comment. A REF issue. Not relevant to Australia. In our case,
publication in a freely chosen OA outlet = OA. An IR deposit date is not
needed and indeed completely irrelevant. I have pointed out that IR deposit
is equivalent to "double work" in such cases.

(4) Institutions, in monitoring and ensuring compliance will simply require
-- at least annually -- a list of articles published, together with
publication date and deposit date.

[Arthur] As I said we've done this for 20+ years, without the deposit. The
returns are provided to Canberra each March or thereabouts.

(5) If the publication date and the deposit date are not the same, the
article is ineligible for REF.

[Arthur] An arcane REF rubric. Clumsy and simplistic, like smoke from the
Sistine Chapel. An author publishing in an OA journal (if ignored) might be
able to sue REF/HEFCE as their article was OA immediately on publication, or
otherwise if they deposited before publication or a day or two after. The
author could even be temporarily on the other side of the world, and living
in a different day! (It happens to me every day as I am currently 11h ahead
of GMT.)

(6) With deposit, the metadata are immediately accessible web wide (though
the full-text might be embargoed for the allowable interval).

[Arthur] Even without deposit, this could be true. Though I concede,
unlikely to be actioned very often. However I routinely put drafts on OA
even before publication, updating them later.