An immediate-deposit mandate moots most of this discussion. Versions and rights
need
not be checked if the mandate simply says:

"Deposit the refereed draft immediately, and make it Closed Access."

So all this discussion is about what *else* you can do, and when.

Here's a list:

1. A sensible author will make the immediate-deposit OA immediately, just as
physicists
have been successfully doing for decades with no problems.

2. A cautious author will look up the publsher's embargo policy as well as the
funder's
embargo limit, and make the immediate-deposit OA at whichever date comes first.

3. A timid author will look up the publsher's embargo policy and make the
immediate-deposit OA at whatever date the publisher indicates.

4. A foolish author will simply make the immediate-deposit and leave it as
Closed Access (attending to reprint requests generated by the request copy
Button
on an individual case by case basis).

The speed with which we reach 100% Green OA and beyond depends on the relative
proportion of foolish, timid, cautious and sensible authors.

But please, while we keep speculating, let us all mandate immediate-deposit.

I don't mean just:

"Deposit the refereed draft immediately, and make it Closed Access."

Improve on that in any way you like:

"and make it OA immediately"

"and make it OA immediately or after X months at the latest"

But in any case, deposit immediately!

Stevan Harnad

On 2013-03-21, at 9:40 AM, Hans PfeiffenbergAer <hans.pfeiffenber...@awi.de>