Thanks Tim. No I don't think I missed the point.

I agree that certification of all *repository* documents for REF (or in our
case ERA) is the same, whether the source is from a subscription or an open
access source. The point is that repository documents are divorced from the
source, and are therefore suspect. Researchers are as human as everyone else,
whether by error or fraud. However, Gold is slightly easier to certify (see
next para), even leaving aside the probability that the institution may not
subscribe to all (non-OA) journals or conference proceedings.

One of the reasons I argue that the ARC policy of requiring a link to OA (aka
Gold) journal articles (rather than taking a copy) is that one compliance step
is removed. The link provides access to the VoR at its canonical source, and
there can be no argument about that. Taking a copy inserts the necessity of
verifying that the copy is in fact what it purports to be, and relying on the
institution's certification.

May I strongly urge that EPrints, if given a URL to an off-site journal
article, at the very least *inserts* the URL (or other identifier) into a
"canonic source link" piece of metadata, whether or not it bothers about making
a copy (which function should be able to be suppressed by the repository
administrator as a repository-wide option).

One of the problems that the "take-a-copy" crowd ignore, is that the link to a
Gold article might in fact not be direct to the actual VoR, but to a guardian
"cover page". This cover page might contain publisher advertising or licence
information before the actual link, or it might require one to comply with free
registration maybe even with a CAPTCHA. It may be protected with a robots.txt
file. No matter, the article is still open access, even though repository
software may not be able to access it. (Drawn to my attention by private
correspondence from Petr Knoth.)

Arthur Sale