On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Lars Bjørnshauge <l...@arl.org> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> if you look at Walt Crawfords fantastic work on OA-journals (
> http://citesandinsights.info/) I think it fair to say that we are talking
> about 5% of papers published in  fully OA-journals charging APCs - I have
> not done the exact calculations

The PDF is hard to navigate, but I don't see how even a ball-park of 5% is
the figure for the ratio of predatory-paid-gold to paid-gold articles
published (annually, of course).

How was the calculation done? and for what time-base?

If the ratio turned out to be 5% I would call it small (not "tiny," but
small!), especially because the ratio of paid-gold articles (not all gold
articles) to all articles annually is probably also small.

But instead of discussing likely adjectives, would it not be more useful to
see and discuss the data?

SH