Hallo all - I'm interested in this from a couple of perspectives - AOASG
and COPE. I too think that this is getting more attention than the size of
the problem merits - which is not to say we should ignore it. I also feel
that compiling blacklists of moving targets is not a good use of time.
I support much more education, especially at the institutional level. If
people are submitting to  the wrong journals there is a fundamental failure
of mentorship. Librarians are already doing a huge amount of education here
- the problem is it is not getting to researchers.
Bev, I'm really interested in the website being developed - at COPE we
collaborated earlier on with DOAJ and OASPA on principles we wanted
journals to be transparent about and would be happy to follow up with what
you are doing on this.

Ginny

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:23 AM, David Prosser <david.pros...@rluk.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I don’t know if the OA community has always welcomed and encouraged
> ‘internal critique’, but it has been a feature of the debates I’ve been
> involved in over the last 15 years (and others have much longer OA
> histories than I do!).  I don’t see the problem as being a lack of either
> internal critique or of voices denouncing dodgy practices.  For me, the
> problem has been the over-emphasis on ‘predatory’ publishers - hardly a day
> goes by without mention of them - and the overblowing of a small (but real,
> of course) problem into something that has almost defined OA in many
> people’s minds.
>
> David
>
> On 9 Sep 2015, at 22:58, Heather Morrison <heather.morri...@uottawa.ca>
> wrote:
>
> Thank you for taking this on, Richard.
>
> One thought is whether it would be in the best interests of OA to welcome
> and encourage internal critique. Perhaps if we were quicker to denounce
> predatory practices, we would have more credibility when we support true
> friends of OA (to me, this of necessity includes commitment to quality).
>
> Just my two bits,
>
> Heather Morrison
>
> On Sep 9, 2015, at 6:05 AM, "Richard Poynder" <richard.poyn...@cantab.net>
> wrote:
>
> What many now refer to as predatory publishing first came to my attention
> 7 years ago, when I interviewed a publisher who — I had been told — was
> bombarding researchers with invitations to submit papers to, and sit on the
> editorial boards of, the hundreds of new OA journals it was launching.
>

> Since then I have undertaken a number of other such interviews, and with
> each interview the allegations have tended to become more worrying — e.g.
> that the publisher is levying article-processing charges but not actually
> sending papers out for review, that it is publishing junk science, that it
> is claiming to be a member of a publishing organisation when in reality it
> is not a member, that it is deliberately choosing journal titles that are
> the same, or very similar, to those of prestigious journals (or even
> directly cloning titles) in order to fool researchers into submitting
> papers to it etc. etc.
>

> The number of predatory publishers continues to grow year by year, and yet
> far too little is still being done to address the issue.
>

> Discussion of the problem invariably focuses on the publishers. But in
> order to practise their trade predatory publishers depend on the
> co-operation of researchers, not least because they have to persuade a
> sufficient number to sit on their editorial boards in order to have any
> credibility. Without an editorial board a journal will struggle to attract
> many submissions.
>

> Is it time to approach the problem from a different direction?
>

> More here:
> http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/predatory-publishing-modest-proposal.html

Dr Virginia Barbour
Executive Officer, Australasian Open Access Support Group - AOASG
Brisbane, Australia
ORCID : 0000-0002-2358-2440

*web*: http://aoasg.org.au/
*email:* e...@aoasg.org.au
*twitter*: @openaccess_oz
*skype:* ginnybarbour

Got an idea for Open Access week 2015?
<http://aoasg.org.au/open-access-week-2015/> Get in touch!

The AOASG  exists to advocate, collaborate, raise awareness and build
capacity in open access.