Dear David and dear all !

A short contribution from the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) based on the data
underlying of this very short paper:
http://beta.briefideas.org/ideas/f2e9ebaa34cd5655203c7de332618061

>From a sample of 683 OA articles with APC coming out of FWF funded projects
>between 2014 and 8/2015:

- 37 articles are from publishers classified as "predatory" by Beal. That is
5.4%.

On the first view, congrats to Lars. However, on the second view the analysis
shows also:

- 33 articles come from MDPI journals which are all listed in DOAJ.
- one article is from Hikari  (International Journal of Algebra), not listed in
DOAJ
- three articles are from three journals from SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PUBLISHING,
none of them listed in DOAJ

The FWF rules from 1/1/2015 say:

- Beals list is not an official resource for the FWF.
- The FWF covers publication costs if journals are listed in DOAJ. If an Open
Access Journal has been founded very recently (in the last 12 months) and is
therefore not yet registered in the DOAJ, it has to be clear from the journal’s
website that the DOAJ criteria are fulfilled. That is fully in the line with
the recommendations of Science Europe:
http://www.scienceeurope.org/uploads/PublicDocumentsAndSpeeches/WGs_docs/SE_POA_Pos_Statement_WEB_FINAL_20150617.pdf

According to these new rules, we might have been funded 4 articles out of 683
(0.06%) from “dubious” publishers. But we funded these articles before the new
rules were in place.

To sum up, we see no empirical evidence, at least not for the FWF, that the
problem is higher than in former times where the FWF funded “dubious costs” for
colour figures, covers, page charges e.g. from subscription journals listed in
WoS or Scopus, especially since the exemption criteria of WoS and Scopus are
still less transparent as for DOAJ.

Best
Falk
Falk Reckling, PhD