Dear Graham,

You are right. We simply cannot accept any journal where anyone has to
pay anything. There is no place for money exchange in knowledge
published in scholarly journals. Any monetary exchange could lead,
sooner or later, to malversations and corruptions or limit to access to
the knowledge for some people on earth.

Who must therefore pay for the infrastructure ? Ourselfves throught the
taxes or through the connection cost we pay to get access to internet.

Let me use an example that I hope could be generalize. The new journal
http://rescience.github.io/ [2]is not only run by a non profit
organization, it is in fact only run by a loosely collection of people
sharing a common interest. Not an organization.

As with most journals, the editors in chief, the associate editors and
reviewers are not paid. The whole reviewing process is open too. There
is no publication costs and nor for anyone. Who is paying for the
infrastructure ? The people who develop code that they do NOT want to
share. Since the scholarly documents are by nature made to be public
they should not be paid by anyone anymore.

I understand that such a journal, completely electronic, where the
author is supposed to agree to use tools like latex and git, could be
too complex for some and not adequate for every discipline. But in a
world where more and more of us are our own composers anyway, there
could be a place for intermediaries directely paid by the authors who do
not want to learn such tools. Such intermediaries would take the charge
to transform the paper in such formats and tools for the authord.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Le 2015-09-10 14:52, Graham Triggs a écrit :

>> On 10/09/2015 11:37:02, Nicolas Pettiaux <nico...@pettiaux.be> wrote:
>>
>> What about the idea : research published only non profit OA journals should
>> be taken into account.
>>
>> Wouldn't this push the predatory OA journals by competition out of business ?
>
> Well, first, try and define what your criteria for a "non profit" OA journal
> is.
> Even a genuine declared non-profit journal would run profits in some years,
> due to the need to potentially cover shortfalls in others. The reality is you
> would be aiming for a modest profit, which would then be subsequently
> re-invested in future years.
> But regardless of your criteria, profit is just income - costs... and it
> would be fairly easy for a "predatory" journal to hide it's profit by paying
> another company some vastly inflated sum for a bunch of services. The journal
> isn't making any money itself, but it all flows through the chain.

Nicolas Pettiaux, phd - nico...@pettiaux.be
 Open@work - Une Société libre utilise des outils libres

Links:
------