Although I am one of a number of authors who have argued that we can afford to
flip existing subscriptions revenue to open access (see
http://dx.doi.org/10.5210/fm.v18i6.4370), I argue that there are essential
flaws in the idea of attempting to transition existing successful commercial
scholarly publishers from a subscriptions to an open access based business
model. This post will focus on one such flaw In particular, that payment for
new articles moving forward via OA APCs does not address other major revenue
sources for existing publishers.

In this article I speak to the transition of Elsevier to OA as unlikely:
https://doi.org/10.5260/chara.18.3.53

Excerpt:

"Realistic APC prices that would be required to sustain Elsevier revenue and
profit based on dividing Elsevier’s stated revenue by Elsevier’s two different
reports of article production range from over $5,000 to close to $12,000 USD
per article. The low-end estimate is higher than estimated global academic
library spend (Morrison,
2013<http://docserver.ingentaconnect.com/deliver/connect/charleston/15254011/v18n3/s14.html?expires=1497975509&id=90910283&titleid=75002231&accname=University+of+Ottawa&checksum=7738947A38667D7749C747C9016E07F6#bib6>).

Even if every article produced by Elsevier from this day forward were OA
through APC funding, it is important to note that Elsevier derives considerable
revenue through subscriptions and pay-per-view for a very substantial
collection of back issues, and for search services such as Scopus and Science
Direct. It seems likely that even if signatories of the OA020: Expression of
Interest in the Large-Scale Implementation of Open Access to Scholarly Journals
were to be joined by every university and research organization worldwide, and
even if they were to collectively agree to pay more than current spend to
transition Elsevier moving forward to Open Access publication, Elsevier would
continue to seek subscriptions and pay-per-view revenue for back issues, and
paying for OA articles should not be assumed to include payment for search
services that libraries and researchers might continue to see as “must-haves.”"

To sum up arguments in these two articles, I argue that there is more than
enough funding in existing library subscriptions to fund a fully open access
scholarly publishing system, and that it would be possible to do at
considerable cost savings. However, the possibility and affordability of an OA
flip cannot be taken for granted. Providing support for a return to scholar-led
journal publishing (the norm until the end of the Second World War) through
such means as library support for journal hosting, modest subsidies for
journals, and investing in new approaches such as peer-review overlay based on
repositories would appear to be the most promising routes.

best,

Heather Morrison

On 2017-06-20, at 11:19 AM, "Reckling, Falk"
<falk.reckl...@fwf.ac.at<mailto:falk.reckl...@fwf.ac.at>>
 wrote:

Right Eric, but it has to be flanked by initiatives like in Finland, Germany
and the Netherlands to convince some publishers to change their business models
according what buyers are asking for:
FIN: http://www.nodealnoreview.org/
GER: https://www.projekt-deal.de/about-deal/
NL: http://www.vsnu.nl/en_GB/openaccess-eng.html

And as the offsetting / OA deals in the Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, UK and
Germany already show, some publishers have learnt the lesson, not always
perfect but nearly sufficient deals.

Some other publishers should learn a lesson given by Ivy Anderson from the
Digital Library of the Universities of California:

“ … the core problem is the persistence of a friction-based business model in a
network environment that is essentially frictionless. Human factors research
tells us that when users keep making the same mistake, it isn't a mistake -
it's the system that needs to change. Flip the business model to open access,
and the Sci-Hub problem goes away - it becomes unnecessary on the one hand and
legitimate on the other.“
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/whos-downloading-pirated-papers-everyone#comment-2648543579<http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/whos-downloading-pirated-papers-everyone>

Best,
Falk