--- Carvalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Response:
> There you go again Santosh with those words "totally
> wrong". Of late, you've even begun calling for the
> pastoral exile of people who you find "totally
> wrong".
> Very disappointing that was coming from you. I had
> truly held you in much higher esteem.

The above statements of Selma do not add anything
worthwhile to this discussion. She is simply engaging
in innuendo and further mischaracterization of my
statements. I have already explained why her
characterization of my earlier assertions were totally
wrong. In the academic field, one does have to point
out when a student or colleague is totally wrong about
some thing. More importantly, one has to tell them why
they are wrong.

Selma's statement above that I have begun calling for
the pastoral exile of people who I find totally wrong
is false. I had merely made a light-hearted comment in
response to a derogatory remark made by another
Goanetter, in the form of question to Bosco about his
rules for pastoral action. My comment had nothing to
do with whether I thought the person was right or
wrong.

> Response:
> Now, this statement alone is fudging the truth a bit
> isn't it?

No, it isn't. Please see below.

>What you mean to say is that certain patterns of
>electrical activation have been known to reproduce
>apparitions, religious experiences etc. In order for
>the converse to be true, you would have to round up
>centuries of "fools" who have had apparitions,
>religious experiences, near death experiences,
>heightened sense of awareness, etc and conclusively
>prove that at that precise moment, their brains were
>undergoing "certain patterns of electrical
> activation in specific parts of the brain".

First of all, I do not think these people are "fools".
Science does not claim that these people are "fools".
Science is a dispassionate enterprise. It contends
that these people are displaying well-recognized
natural phenomena, which have now been reproduced in
the laboratory. Second, it is unreasonable for anybody
to expect scientists to go back in time and prove that
any natural phenomenon (in this case a given conscious
experience) that has occurred in the past is due to a
natural cause (in this case brain electrical patterns)
because this type of time travel is not yet possible.
If people demanded this type of proof, several
well-established scientific theories describing our
past would also have been regarded as mere
philosophical opinions. Examples of such theories
include the theory of evolution by natural selection,
the Big Bang theory, the theory of stellar evolution,
and the geological formation and age of the earth.
Indeed, the case for these theories would have been
weaker than the case for the brain basis of mental
phenomena.

What modern scientists have done instead to confirm
the dependence of mental phenomena on brain activity
is the following:

1. They have recorded brain activation patterns while
present day folks are having these experiences in the
clinic or the laboratory.

2. They have reproducibly induced these experiences by
direct electrical stimulation of specific parts of the
brain.

>Now, Eric Von Daniken also has "conclusive evidence",
>that religious apparitions are holograms beamed to
>us from aliens in outer space. What if in 50 years
>from now, we find out that Eric Von Daniken was
right. >It would certainly disapprove that apparitions
were
>divinely motivated but it would also disprove your
>theory.

To find out if this is an appropriate analogy or not
please provide me with the "conclusive evidence" that
Eric Von Daniken has for his extraordinary theory.

I have already implied what would disprove the current
scientific explanation for mental phenomena. To state
it explicitly, any experiment that shows a person has
no specific electrical activation of the brain while
he/she is having a religious or any other conscious
experience would conclusively disprove the current
explanation.

>Humanity doesn't owe anyone a dime except the Deity
of >Truth but just as I'm wary of religious zealots
who >insist they have uncovered the whole truth, I'm
>becoming anxious about scientific inquiry which seeks
>to prematurely euthanise the indomitable fakir that
>resides in all of us.

This anxiety is unfounded. As I have said earlier,
science is simply a humble method to find internally
consistent natural explanations for observed natural
phenomena based on objective evidence.

The scientific method has not yet yielded a detailed
complete natural explanation for the conscious mind.
However, we know that the idea that it exists
independently of the brain is inconsistent with an
overwhelming body of objective evidence.  Moreover,
there is absolutely no positive evidence in support of
this idea.

Cheers,

Santosh