                    **** http://www.GOANET.org ****
                      5th Annual Konkan Fruit Fest
               Promenade, D B Bandodkar Road, Panaji, Goa

                            16-18, May 2008

 http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2008-May/073789.html

To my comment (erotic sculptures did not depict gods and goddesses, and that
this art is not the general rule), Santosh Helekar responds:

"This point was repeatedly refuted in this forum. Not only does it appear that
nude images are fairly common in ancient Indian temples, almost to the point of
being a general rule, but that many such images indeed depict nude Hindu gods
and godesses."

What Santosh has conveyed is some sculptures of Hindu gods and goddesses in
nude. I do not dispute it. But the question of the rule and exception still
remains. We can give examples of many things to prove a point. But to apply the
point as a generality, one has to say whether these examples are a rule or
exception.

Perhaps Santosh can tell how many temples in Goa, for example, have, one, nude
sculptures (not necessarily of gods), and, two, out of them how many are there
were gods and goddesses are depicted.

I would also be interested in Santosh's views on the other points made by me.

Sachin Phadte
Timely update on all current affairs, sports, events and all thats in News here
on MSN videos.
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-in