2008 Toronto International Goan Convention
Theme: Goan Identity And Networking Today.
http://2008goanconvention.com/index.php

Mario Miranda Festival, July 24-26,  2008 Old GMC Building
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2008-July/077732.html

Dear Miguel, Samir, Jeevan and all those who oppose Prof Kamat as the
moderator of the Citizen's Initiative debate:

The function of a moderator of any debate is to ensure that the ground
rules set previously are followed in the best interest of the debate.
Beyond that he does not make any comments himself except to ask
clarification of any speaker's point if it is ambiguous. Even the time
each speaker gets is set by the rules. Where the moderator gets some
leeway is on "redirect".

With such narrow discretion left to him, Prof Kamat's past has little
bearing. In fact, it is the best thing that Floriano could have done.
By making him moderator, Kamat cannot give his own views on the
question.

All those worthies mentioned as potentially good moderators would make
better particpants. At least everyone can hear their views on the
subject.

Whether the outcome of the debate has any bearing on the final outcome
of the issue is less important than having democracy function at it's
best. While any half-wit can be a voter, it takes intelligent people
to direct the course of public policy. We cannot leave this to greedy
politicians.

If there is one important matter that I would suggest that Floriano
acts upon, I would say get the best media coverage possible. Give as
much importance to the getting the DNAs, the Tehelkas, the Outlooks
and the India Todays as given to the local media. The issues discussed
here are relevant to other literate states also.

Regards,
Roland.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM, Miguel Braganza
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dears,
>
> If Prof Madhav S. Kamat is going to be the "Moderator" of the debate on
> "Should Goa University go Central?" one might as well write the conclusion
> before it starts!
                     **** http://www.GOANET.org ****

                    Tri Continental Film Festival 2008
                           July 25 - 30, 2008