* G * O * A * N * E * T *** C * L * A * S * S * I * F * I * E * D * S *

Sangath, www.sangath.com, is looking to build a centre for services, training
and research and seeks to buy approx 1500 to 2000 sq mtrs land betweeen Mapusa
and Bambolim and surrounding rural areas. Please contact: contac...@sangath.com
or yvo...@sangath.com or ph+91-9881499458
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-July/180028.html

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Frederick "FN" Noronha<f...@goa-india.org>
wrote:

> Teotonio R. de Souza
> Olivinho had a sense of humour. I recall a pithy comment of his in
> Konknni: Taka toklo asa, punn tokli na!
> 2 minutes ago
>
> Frederick Noronha
> How would that get translated: He has a head, but no intelligence?

Roland Francis wrote:
Good one FN.
A variation - he has a head but there's nothing inside.
----
I think Olivinho's remark is a put-down that cannot be translated in English.
It is a play on words. There's no difference in "toklo" and "tokli", as I
understand it.
I have often heard people remark, Tachea tokleant kaim na. Yes, it means the
man or woman is empty-headed.
It similar to saying, Taka dollea asa punn taka disonam or taka dollea asa punn
to kuddo.
Konkani or konknni is flexible enought to play around. Tiarists make such
remarks all the time.

Eugene

Get the name you've always wanted @ymail.com or @rocketmail.com! Go to
http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/jacko/
  • ... Frederick "FN" Noronha
    • ... Roland Francis
      • ... Frederick [FN] Noronha * फ्रेडरिक न ोरोन्या
    • ... Venantius Pinto
      • ... Frederick [FN] Noronha * फ्रेडरिक न ोरोन्या
    • ... Eugene Correia